Sunday, June 29, 2008

Why I can't stand soccer

STOP FLOPPING.

Look, I know Soccer is the most popular sport in the world, and in every other country all the best athletes are soccer players, blah blah blah. I get it. I'll watch the World Cup as long as the United States is still going, which means every four years I watch two games of soccer (we suck). I'm as big a USA patriot homer as anybody - if USA is playing in the World Competitive cup-stacking competition I'll watch it.

Every 5 minutes, some guy gets "tripped" and goes down like a sack of hammers. He screams bloody murder and grabs his ankle like it was just bashed in with a wrench. He gets carried off with a stretcher, they castrate the guy just tripped him, and then two minutes later he skips back onto the field and scores a goal.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, you'll see one guy literally TACKLE another guy, and then look at the refs like he was the victim. You're all terrible actors. I hear they're starting to give out yellow cards to people who flop. It's a start...now, can we start handing out fouls in the NBA too (note: this will make players like Ginobli, Rip Hamilton, and Sasha Vujachic completely useless..OKAY BY ME)

1 comment:

KSark said...

a. shin guards do nothing.

b. i've broken my nose twice

c. split my forehead open

d. torn my knee (that didn't really count as there was no contact on that)

e. have you ever been tripped running full speed?

f. soccer players don't wear pads (see a.)

g. pro athletes in all sports can act like babies.